Can CBD Oil Help With Anxiety?
With the fast-paced nature of our society, it’s no secret that anxiety has become one of the major problems for many people today.
There’s more anxiety within the country today than in previous years with many people feeling mild to severe anxiety related to their living and working situations, safety and health.
According to a 2016 survey published by the National Health Service (NHS), anxiety affects about 1 in 6 people, and the number is climbing.
As anxiety continues to grow, the healthcare community has responded with Zoloft, Paxil, Xanax, and other anti-anxiety medications. This bump in anti-anxiety medication has contributed to an increase of overdosing deaths caused by benzodiazepines – the group of medications used to treat anxiety.
There are now natural, safer way to reduce anxiety symptoms without putting your life in danger: CBD. In fact, hundreds of our customers already trust Blessed CBD to help manage their anxiety.
You don’t have to take our word for it – just click here to read our reviews.
What is CBD?
CBD, short for cannabidiol, is an active compound that is naturally found in the cannabis plant.
When extracted from the plant, it can be used in a wide number of products, including oils, topicals, edibles, and e-liquids.
Unlike the infamous cannabinoid THC, CBD is non-psychoactive. This means CBD can provide the human body with therapeutic properties without the mind-altering effects often linked to cannabis use.
When extracted from hemp, a type of cannabis plant with low amounts of THC, CBD products are legal and extremely beneficial.
CBD: How It Works for Anxiety
Within the human body (along with most animals) there is an intricate network of cannabinoid receptors called the Endocannabinoid System (ECS). This system is considered to be one of the most important for maintaining your health and keeps just about every metabolic process in balance.
The receptors in this system are positioned throughout your entire body and can be stimulated by cannabinoids, such as CBD. An internal communication system, the receptors in the ECS regulate the body’s inner stability and balance.
Which brings us to anxiety.
Though anxiety can be caused by many different triggers, anxiety does one of two things:
- Cause an imbalance in the body.
- Be caused by an imbalance in the body.
The ECS is designed to handle both issues.
For example, if you’re at work and a situation arises that you determine is undesirable and uncomfortable, your brain activity will respond accordingly. Your body will then release a certain amount of cortisol, the stress and fear hormone, which depends on the intensity of your emotions.
When people are in a situation they don’t like, there is natural anticipation for the situation to end. If this anticipation and discomfort are extremely intense or excessive, your body will release another round of cortisol and anxiety will start to build up about the situation.
This can become a vicious cycle, if unregulated, quickly leading to severe mental disorders.
CBD uses the following mechanisms to help regulate anxiety when interacting with the ECS.
- CBD can activate the serotonin receptor, a protein involved in neurological and biological processes such as addiction, sleep, appetite, and anxiety.
- CBD dampens neural activity throughout the brain’s stress circuits, controlling stress signals.
- CBD regulates the HPA axis, the system that manages the hormones responsible for controlling your response to stress.
Anxiety & the Benefits of CBD Oil
The example above was very broad, and we all know anxiety comes in numerous forms. CBD is an amazing compound because it can help many forms of anxiety.
Based on the results of various research studies, CBD has shown it has the potential to mitigate a range of disorders related to anxiety. Some of them include:
- General Anxiety Disorder (GAD): This is a condition in which individuals experience symptoms of anxiety regularly, including stress, worry, nervousness, and an increased heart rate. CBD’s ability to influence the serotonin receptor displays its anti-anxiolytic properties that can help lessen GAD as well as other mental disorders.
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): This condition affects people who have experienced traumatizing situations or events, such as witnessing acts of violence. Those who suffer from PTSD may experience fear, stress, anxiety, mood swings, suffer from flashbacks and show other negative symptoms when triggered by something that is associated with their traumatic experience.
- Panic Disorder (PD): A disabling mental condition, individuals with this disorder can become immobilized when they experience a certain level of anxiety. There are two ways that CBD helps battle PD. Firstly, it can ease panic disorder symptoms by influencing the serotonin receptor. Secondly, it can alleviate and prevent anxiety by adjusting the brain’s response the stress.
- Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD): This type of anxiety is triggered by social interactions. It can have a deeply negative impact on an individual’s ability to socialize in healthy ways. The triggers for SAD are different from other types of anxiety, but CBD is able to ease this type of disorder in a similar way as the others. It does this by regulating an individual’s response to stress and influencing the serotonin receptor.
- Anxiety caused by the discomfort health conditions create: Some health conditions that cause pain and inflammation lead to anxiety. CBD is both a powerful antioxidative and anti-inflammatory agent. It has shown in numerous studies to be a help in alleviating various types of pain, such as muscular pain, inflammatory pain and neuropathic pain. CBD also provides additional pain management help but binding to a receptor (the TRPV1) that moderates the body’s pain perception.
Manage Anxiety Naturally
Anxiety comes in many forms and can be devastating for those living with it.
If you are looking for ways to manage your anxiety or anxiety-related disorder other than synthetic medication, CBD is a great option to try. From mild to severe cases of anxiety, CBD has been proven to alleviate many symptoms and provide relief. Even better, hundreds of our customers are already using our CBD oil products on a daily basis to better manage their anxiety.
There’s no shortage of prescriptions ready to be handed out at the mention of anxiety. It is a serious issue that greatly impacts the day to day lives of millions of people, but CBD provides a natural way to manage it without putting your body’s health at further risk.